Thursday 3 November 2016

Interview on The Gal in the Blue Mask

I have an in-depth interview on The Gal in the Blue Mask Blog.

About Parallel Universe Publications I said:
"In 1995, having been made redundant by British Aerospace, I invested my redundancy pay in setting up a professional science fiction/fantasy magazine called Beyond.  I had always been interested in publishing and this seemed a golden opportunity.  I managed to arrange newsstand space for it through a major distributor and had stories and articles in the magazine by the likes of Karl Edward WagnerJohn BrunnerStephen GallagherKim NewmanStephen LawsRamsey Campbell, etc., but, unfortunately, I was persuaded, unwisely, to publish far too many copies of the magazine by the distributor and, after returns came in, the magazine folded after three issues, leaving me with a sizeable debt.  This probably had more to do with me losing interesting in writing too for the next ten years or so, till John Pelan helped to revive my interest once more.  Curiously, my interest in publishing has also returned and for the last two years, with my wife, Linden, I have revived Parallel Universe Publications, which published Beyond magazine, and have been able to publish more than twenty books."

Also:

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

David A. Riley:
I have spent most of the past twenty months working on publishing books under my Parallel Universe Publications imprint.  PUP has brought out twenty-one so far, with a twenty-second in the pipeline.  It's been a great pleasure to be able to get collections published for writers like Charles BlackCraig HerbertsonJohnny MaimsKate FarrellMark SamuelsSteve LockleyPaul LewisAndrew DarlingtonJessica PalmerAdrian ColeAndrew Jennings, and Ezeiyoke Chukwunonso, not to mention a collection of tales by the late Irvin S. Cobb.  We have also published an anthology of new stories, Kitchen Sink Gothic, and are looking to doing another anthology next year as soon as funds have been set aside to pay all the writers.  I intend to ease off a little over the next twelve months, though.  We have another three books to publish this year, which will make twenty-four in as many months.  2017 I want to get back to doing some writing of my own so we'll probably only publish a small handful of books.  At least that's the plan.  I have a couple of novels I want to complete and I would like to put together a fourth collection of my own stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment